Frequently Asked Questions
Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the certification process for black suppliers by the South African Supplier Diversity Council.
Prospective Certified Supplier Qualifications
1. What are the criteria set out for qualification of a bona fide black supplier?
- Your company must be 51% or more black- owned, controlled and managed.
- The persons who make up the majority ownership must be South African Citizens.
- The highest titled position in the business (ie. Managing Director or Member, CEO, Chairman of the Board etc) must be held by a black person.
- The business must be headquartered in South Africa.
- The business must be compliant with the statutory requirements of South Africa.
- The business must be operating and can demonstrate a clear product and/or service offering.
2. I’m a black entrepreneur wishing to start up my own business. Can the SASDC help me?
- Unfortunately the SASDC only works with established-black own businesses who are ready to reach corporate procurement staff. We don’t specialize on enterprise development because there is already an extended network of assistance in that area.
3. I`m a foundation or a service-providing non-profit organization. Can I become certified?
- No, unfortunately the SASDC does not certify foundations or service-providing non-profit organizations at this time.
The Certification Process
1. What is the fee for certification?
- Certification requires a R 1149.00 inc VAT non-refundable certification application fee.
2. How long is the process for certification?
- From the time we receive a completed and corrected Certification Application and package, the certification process can take anywhere from 30 to 34 days to complete.
Boundaries of Certification
1. Does the SASDC provide any funding?
- No, unfortunately we do not provide financial assistance for SMME development.
2. If the SASDC doesn’t provide any funding, can it facilitate funding support with other organizations, including its corporate members?
- If you’re seeking financial support we recommend utilizing other resources focusing on enterprise development. While there are many sourcing of funding for South African SMME`s, the Department of Trade and Industry has complied a list of financial support resources to qualifying companies in various sectors of the economy. Please visit their website here for more information. Once you`re transaction-ready and seek exposure to our corporate members, come back and seek certification!
3. If the SASDC doesn’t provide funding, exactly how does the SASDC support SMME’s?
- With multiple options available to SMME’s for Enterprise Development, the SASDC aims to be the leading service provider fostering business linkages between transaction-ready SMMEs and corporate enterprises.
Benefits of Certification
I’ve been certified, so what now? What kinds of benefits do I receive?
First of all, congratulations on becoming certified! There are many benefits of becoming certified. In general, an SASDC certification grants you expanded business opportunities and exposure to leading national companies. We accomplish this by granting you:
1. Full Access to the Portal – an interactive business tool with multiple useful capabilities:
- Exclusive access to South Africa`s national database of like-minded suppliers who are 51 percent or more owned, controlled and managed.
- A ‘home page’ of recent developments in global supplier diversity research, leading thought leadership and archived workshops about topics relating to supplier diversity
- An interactive network of procurement professionals and over 335 black-owned suppliers with direct messaging and chat functionality, giving you the ability to contact online members
- Up-to-date contact opportunities from our corporate members
2. Participation in capacity building programs and workshops.
3. Invitations to other networking and business linkage activities including Meet the Buyer and Supplier Day events hosted by our corporate members.
Additional programs and services will be offered as our corporate membership base grows.